So I guess it’s official, I’m starting to work on Legends of Yore 2 – which I’m subtitling Rise of the Darklings. I’ll post some concept shots etc in a minute but I’d like to talk about the process I’ve been taking during the interim for a minute.
As you’ve seen if you read my blog or follow on twitter I’ve been knocking out lots of little game demos, this is how I work. I try stuff, lots of stuff, over and over again until I feel comfortable I’ve got everything down. In this case the projects were:
Voxel Based Engine – Experimenting with different graphical styles
Carubloc – Looking at LibGDX across platforms
Matchnik – To look a procedural puzzle generation
Turn Based Platformer – To look at turn based mechanics with a bit more action
Mega Melon Adventure – To play with gamepads and the OUYA
Sub-pixel Sprite Animation – Obviously more tailored towards Legends, just needed to find a way to generate enough graphics.
There’s actually been a few others that never saw the light of day, including a very random bouncing game. This is I’ve come to understand my process. I experiment a lot before I actually go anywhere. It’s not intentional but I can see the pattern looking back. I’m hoping this is going to make Legends of Yore 2 a better game.
So, enough waffle, Legends of Yore 2 – so far I’m coding and spriting like crazy. Here’s the concept art that I’m currently working for. This time it’s all my own art – I intend to license some music/sounds but everything else should be from me:
The plan for the game is do something similar to last time while fixing as many of the things that I learnt along the way. So the game is intended to be epic in size and scope – hopefully bigger than last time. Things I liked last time:
- No level cap – keep going as long as you like
- Yore – the world, it’ll be set here again though maybe many years on
- Diversity – the varied landscape and characters
- Procedural – the dungeons kept changing but the world above was the same. People seemed to love that
- Items/Armor/Weapons – a huge wealth of things to collect and apply
- Class upgrades – this was a late add but once that I absolutely loved.
- The Second Stat – Wizards got Health and Mana as always, but why couldn’t Warriors and Archers have something special too – Rage and Zen were added. Very neat (thanks to PuppyGames for the original thought on this)
So there were a bunch of things that I did last time but I want to be better this time:
- Magic – last time it was too hap hazard, designing a spells tree with different schools of magic before we get started.
- Skills – as with magic, way to random. Again skill tree designed before hand this time.
- Pets – I always felt like they could have been so much more. I was losing steam with the game when I added them so they came out partially done. Fix them this time.
- Quests – I liked the quests system in Legends, it added a lot. This time I want quests to be richer and more varied.
- Save Games – they will be keyed against an email you provide. Last time it was just too half assed. This time it’s going to be cleanly done with a web portal to support your character.
- In App Purchase – none. ever again. Buy the full version. Your account gets updated. Fin.
- Interface – The interface last time was streamlined for mobile players. It was good. However, this time it’s going to be better and also support console players more naturally.
Finally bits that I want to add that I didn’t have last time:
- Richer graphics, visible weapons, variations in characters, animations and direction changes. Yes it won’t feel quite the same, but Yes it’s going to be better.
- Epic Quests – large quests that get you through the story line more obviously. Legends actually had a story line but I’m not sure anyone saw it
- Underwater – it’s got to be in there somewhere, I’m just not sure how yet. I want it though.
- Dynamic Events – I want the game to still be single player but I’m going to introduce a system that allows me to have “in game events” like a MMORPG. Zombies infest a town etc.
- Player Interaction – While the game will be single player but I want to introduce some innovative ways to have players interact.
So.. yep.. on the way. As always and especially with last game I appreciated all the player feedback and ideas I can get. I’ll be running graphics competitions and other things (oooer) as we go along.
Hope you come along for the ride!